COVID19 Q and A

COVID19 Q and A

Scroll Down

COVID19 Q and A

FAQs about COVID-19

Can I travel to Lord Howe Island?

Travelling within NSW

Lord Howe Island is part of the regional NSW sector

Travel restrictions between Greater Sydney and regional and rural NSW for holiday or recreational visits no longer apply if you are double vaccinated.

For more information about travel restrictions for regional and rural NSW please see:

Are there any known cases of COVID-19 on Lord Howe Island? 

There are currently no known active cases of COVID-19 on the island. Let’s keep Lord Howe Island COVID-free, so we can all continue to enjoy the island paradise together.

What are the symptoms of COVID-19? 

The symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to other colds and flus and include:

  • fever
  • sore throat
  • cough
  • fatigue
  • shortness of breath/difficulty breathing.

If you are suffering from any of these symptoms before you travel or while on the island, please seek medical advice and Coronavirus testing.

What should I do if I’m on Lord Howe Island and feeling unwell?

If you feel unwell with flu-like symptoms while on island, please contact the Gower Wilson Memorial Hospital on +2 6563 2000 to arrange a COVID-19 test. 

What is Lord Howe Island doing to encourage social distancing?

With a small resident population, capped visitor numbers, and plenty of sunshine and sea air, Lord Howe is tailor-made for social distancing and wellbeing. Restaurants and tour operators are limiting numbers to ensure social distancing requirements are met. Book restaurants and tours in advance to guarantee your place.

Restaurants and hospitality

Hospitality premises, such as restaurants, cafes, function centres, take away food and drink premises, kiosks, micro-breweries or small distilleries, small bars, and registered clubs, can open to customers to consume food and beverages on premises.

If you are fully vaccinated, you can visit a hospitality venue. You must:

  • carry vaccination evidence with you and produce it for inspection to a police officer or authorised officer if requested
  • check in with the Service NSW app or provide your contact details to the occupier
  • follow the face mask rules.

People who are fully vaccinated may consume alcohol indoors or outdoors while standing or sitting.

Singing and dancing is permitted indoors or outdoors for people who are fully vaccinated.


All people over the age of 12 must wear a face mask:

  • in indoor areas (e.g. while shopping, when at a library)
  • in indoor areas of common property of apartment buildings
  • at a public transport waiting area
  • while on public transport
  • if you are working at a hospitality venue and dealing directly with members of the public
  • on an aircraft when the aircraft is flying above NSW and in the airport.

Exemptions are available. Learn more about face mask rules.

COVID-19 safe check in

Occupiers of premises are required to continue to take reasonable steps to ensure people can check-in or provide their contact details to when they enter your premises.

If you are entering a premises where check-in is required, you must:

  • check in with the Service.NSW app
  • provide your details to the occupier of the premises.

Learn more about COVID-19 Safe Check-in.

Vaccination evidence

Vaccination evidence includes:

  • an email or other document (printed or electronic) from the Department of Home Affairs that confirms you have completed an Australia Travel Declaration and you have been vaccinated against COVID-19 overseas
  • a medical exemption, which includes either:
    • a medical contraindication certificate or
    • a medical clearance form.

A person who is required to be fully vaccinated to enter premises must:

  • Carry their vaccination evidence
  • Produce the evidence if requested to do so by a police officer or authorised officer.

If you are required to be fully vaccinated to enter a premises, you may be asked to produce your vaccination evidence by the occupier. We encourage you to comply with an occupier’s request.

You do not have to produce your vaccination evidence to the occupier, however, the occupier may refuse entry to you if you do not produce your vaccination evidence.

People who provide an emergency service are able to enter premises if they are not fully vaccinated and are at the premises to provide an emergency service.

What precautions are taken on the flights?

Qantaslink is dedicated to ensuring the health and wellbeing of passengers and staff, and has implemented temporary safety measures for check-in, catering and onboard services. See more information here:

Follow us on



Subscribe now and receive the latest Lord Howe Island news and stay up to date.